U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao today announced the appointment of seven new members to the United States Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA) Advisory Board. The USMMA Advisory Board serves as an independent body whose primary purpose is to examine the course of instruction and management of the Academy to further the accomplishment of its mission, execute its strategic plan, and help advance the midshipmen’s professional knowledge and skills.
“The Department is dedicated to providing midshipmen with the finest possible education and preparing them to excel as mariners and military officers,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao.
The Board advises the Maritime Administrator and the Academy’s Superintendent on innovation in the maritime industry, emerging trends in shipping and maritime operations, and the Department of Transportation’s overarching goals of safety, infrastructure, innovation, and accountability.
“Midshipmen at Kings Point graduate and go on to serve as leaders in one of the most dynamic and rapidly-changing industries in the world,” said USMMA Superintendent Rear Admiral Jack Buono. “We look forward to working with the new Advisory Board members to incorporate best practices that will better prepare our midshipmen as professional mariners and officers in the Armed Forces.”
By statute, Advisory Board members must be distinguished in education, industry and other fields related to the Academy’s mission. In appointing new members, the Department sought candidates with expertise in maritime-focused higher education, innovations and trends in the maritime industry, as well as leadership development. The seven USMMA Advisory Board members are appointed for terms of up to three years, are eligible for reappointment, and must include one individual who recently graduated from USMMA.
The seven new members are:
- Dr. Henry S. Marcus, Chair (Professor Emeritus, MIT, 3 years)
- Dr. Martha R. Grabowski, KP ’79 (Professor, RPI and Le Moyne College, 3 years)
- Mr. John D. Noonan, KP ’78 (President and CEO, Binnacle Maritime LLC, 3 years)
- Mr. Brian D. Starer, Esq. KP ’67 (Senior Partner, Squire, Patton Boggs, 2 years)
- Mr. Benjamin Inouye KP ’10 (Manager, MAN Diesel and Turbo NA, 2 years)
- Ms. Allison M. Cedeno, KP ’08 (Founder and CEO, Women Offshore LLC, 1 year)
- Mr. Raymond F. Fitzgerald (President and CEO, Wallenius Wilhelmsen Solutions, 1 year)