ISIS claimed responsibility for a bombing outside of a voter registration office in Kabul where people were waiting to get IDs that would allow them to cast ballots in October elections.
Afghanistan’s TOLO News channel reported that suicide bomber detonated his device near the entrance to the office, which had been processing about 100 applications per day.
Late Sunday, Afghanistan’s Ministry of Public Health said 52 people were killed, including 21 women and five children.
It was the fifth attack, including Taliban attacks, in less than a week specifically targeted at the elections.
“On behalf of the U.S. government, I strongly condemn today’s suicide attack on a voter registration center in Kabul that killed approximately 60 people and wounded over 100 others. I extend our deepest condolences to the families of the victims who have suffered an immeasurable loss. This senseless violence targeting innocent civilians exercising their fundamental democratic rights exposes the savagery and inhumanity of terrorists,” Acting Secretary of State John J. Sullivan said in a statement.
“The United States, along with our Afghan and international partners are committed to destroying ISIS in Afghanistan, which has claimed responsibility for this vicious attack. We stand with the people and government of Afghanistan in their fight against terrorism,” Sullivan said.
“The United States reaffirms our support for the Afghan government, Afghan security forces, and the Independent Electoral Commission in their efforts to ensure that the elections process is transparent, credible, and safe. We remain committed to supporting the Afghan people’s efforts to achieve peace, security, and democracy for their country.”