The path to becoming fire chief is often challenging and unpredictable. With that in mind, how can you best prepare to become a five-bugle chief?
Join co-hosts Tom Jenkins, Rogers, Arkansas fire chief and 2017-2018 IAFC president, and Sheldon Gilbert, ESCI chief executive officer, for episode two of iCHIEFS. Special guests include Anne Arundel County (Maryland) Fire Chief Trisha Wolford and Prince William County (Virginia) Chief (Retired) Mary Beth Michos, who will share their experiences and address key elements of preparation, including:
- formal education/training
- political and policy development skills and experience
- public speaking and communication
- work history and reputation
- teachable potential, succession planning and job shadowing participation
Chief Michos also discusses the IAFC’s Fire Service Executive Development Institute (FSEDI), a program which prepares aspiring chiefs to apply for and go through promotion and chief position processes.
Look out for the next podcast episode in August: Succeeding in Your First 100 Days as Fire Chief.