Mansur Hasib, program chair for Cybersecurity Technology, University of Maryland University College (UMUC) Graduate School and a well-known thought leader in health care technology and cybersecurity, won the Cybersecurity Association of Maryland’s (CAMI) People’s Choice Award for lifetime achievement.
The Cybersecurity Association of Maryland, Inc. (CAMI) is a statewide, 501(c)(6) nonprofit organization formed in 2015 to identify Maryland’s cybersecurity product and service companies and facilitate the introduction of those companies to businesses, government entities, nonprofit organizations and academic institutions seeking cybersecurity solutions.
CAMI’s mission is to create a global cybersecurity marketplace in Maryland and generate thousands of high-pay jobs through the cybersecurity industry.
Before a sold-out crowd of 250 attendees at the American Visionary Art Museum in Baltimore on March 22, CAMI presented 13 awards to Maryland companies, organizations and individuals judged to have outstanding cybersecurity products, services or programs, or to have made a substantial contribution to Maryland’s cybersecurity industry.
Hasib holds a doctorate in cybersecurity and is a former chief information officer with 30 years of public and private sector experience in health care, biotechnology, education and energy. He is the author of, among other books, Cybersecurity Leadership: Powering the Modern Organization, a widely-acclaimed work in which he shared his leadership and governance model as well as life-long learning. It is illustrated with many examples drawn from his practical experiences, research and observations. Hasib is a frequent speaker at local, national and international conferences on a wide range of topics related to cybersecurity.
"With the sheer number of qualified cybersecurity people, innovative start-up companies, academic institutions, government, and major companies, Maryland is arguably the cybersecurity capital of the world. So, it’s a tremendous honor to receive the People’s Choice award,” Hasib said. “Here at UMUC, we have one of the world’s strongest and most innovative cybersecurity education programs with 12,000 students and over 400 practitioner-scholar faculty members. I’m thrilled to be part of the leadership team running this amazing program."
Following opening remarks from CAMI Executive Director Stacey Smith, Secretary Mike Gill, Maryland Department of Commerce, highlighted Maryland’s cybersecurity strengths and expressed his confidence in Maryland’s continued leadership in the global cybersecurity space.
The event was co-emceed by Evan Dornbush, co-founder and CEO of Point3 Security, and Jay Turakhia, vice president, Commercial Relationship Manager, Greater Maryland Market for PNC Bank.
In addition to UMUC’s Hasib, other 2017 Maryland Cybersecurity Awards Celebration winners include:
- Best of Anne Arundel County: SecuLore Solutions
- Best of Baltimore City: ZeroFOX
- Best of Baltimore County: [email protected] Cyber Incubator
- Best of Frederick County: Antietam Technologies
- Best of Howard County: Sealing Technologies
- Best of Montgomery County: Cryptonite
- Innovator of the Year (cybersecurity technology company award): Terbium Labs, BaltimoreCity
- Cybersecurity Defender of the Year (cybersecurity services company award): ZeroFOX, Baltimore City
- Cybersecurity Company to Watch: SecuLore Solutions, Anne Arundel County
- Cybersecurity Champion Award: Bill Murphy, President and CEO of RedZone Technologies, Anne Arundel County
- Cybersecurity Industry Resource Award: Maryland Technology Development Corporation (TEDCO), Howard County
- Cybersecurity Diversity Award: Year Up Baltimore, Baltimore City
The University of Maryland University College is a world leader in innovative educational models, with award-winning online programs in disciplines including biotechnology, cybersecurity, data analytics and information technology that are in high demand in today’s increasingly technical, global workplace.